Many people think that breast augmentation is a largely straightforward procedure that doesn’t give you a ton of options in terms of results. However, that’s definitely not the case! Many choices need to be made when considering breast augmentation as it relates to implant and procedure types. So how do you know which options are best for you? Read on to learn everything you need to know about this wildly popular procedure and how you can choose the right fit that provides the best results.
Different Types of Breast Implants
If you’ve looked into getting breast implants at all, you probably know that there are different types of implants to choose from. This is a big decision since you are putting these things in your body! So here’s what you need to know about the different types of breast implants, including the pros and cons of each:
- Saline implants: When it comes to choosing breast implants, perhaps the factor you’re most familiar with is the implant composition. Saline implants are filled with sterile saltwater that moves more naturally within the chest. That being said, they can move around over time to the point of displacement. Finally, saline implants always have a smooth texture, whereas silicone implants can either be smooth or textured.
- Textured implants: Textured implants, on the other hand, have small bumps on the surface to give them texture. This texture allows scar tissue to form around the implants — making it less likely that they move around and change position within the chest.
- Round implants: Moving on to the shape of the implant, the round implant is the most common choice as it can give a natural shape to the chest and provide more volume. Round implants are also ideal as they are less likely to rotate out of place on the chest.
- Teardrop implants: The other implant shape option is the teardrop shape. Also known as a contoured implant, this type of implant is ideal for women who have previously had parts of the breast removed during surgery, such as a mastectomy.
Different Breast Augmentation Procedures
In addition to different types of breast implants, there are also different types of breast augmentation procedures to consider:
- Sub-pectoral: This procedure involves placing an incision underneath the breast. This incision can hide the scar pretty well, depending on the size and shape of the breasts. This is the most common type of breast augmentation procedure, performed in about 70 to 80 percent of cases. This type of procedure is best for older women or mothers.
- Trans-axillary: This procedure involves placing an incision in the armpit to avoid a scar on the breast area itself. This type of procedure is performed in about 10 percent of cases, but placement and correction can be difficult due to the angles and incision site.
- Peri-aeroilar: This procedure involves placing an incision around the edge of the areola on the nipple — allowing the areola to hide the scar better. This type of procedure is best for women with very small breasts where a scar from a sub-pectoral procedure would be more obvious. That being said, this type of procedure can affect breastfeeding and nipple sensation since it’s on the breast itself.
Things to Consider About a Breast Augmentation
All of these different options may leave you feeling confused and overwhelmed. With so many things to consider, how can you have the peace of mind that you’re choosing the best procedure and implant? The good news is that you don’t have to figure it out on your own. Consulting with a plastic surgeon is the best way to determine the right fit for you.
When consulting with a plastic surgeon, you will talk about the concerns you have about your breasts and your goals and expectations from surgery. The doctor will examine your breasts and go over some of the different options available to help you achieve those goals. Together, you will come up with a treatment plan that meets all your needs and expectations.
If you’re looking for a plastic surgeon who will help you meet those needs and expectations, look no further than Dr. Applebaum in Beverly Hills. With almost 30 years of experience handling both routine and complicated breast augmentation cases, Dr. Applebaum has all the tools and expertise necessary to give you amazing results.
His reputation speaks for itself, with thousands of satisfied patients and hundreds of glowing testimonials. He has helped these patients enhance their bodies. Why not you too?
Final Thoughts on Breast Augmentations
As you can see, there’s more to breast augmentation than meets the eye! That being said, all of these different options shouldn’t overwhelm or confuse you. Speaking with a board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Applebaum will help you determine the best course of action to achieve your breast goals.