It’s no secret that breast augmentations are one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures out there. But is there an alternative to this procedure? As it turns out, there’s a less invasive option in the form of a fat transfer breast augmentation.
What Is a Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation?
A fat transfer breast augmentation involves taking fat from an area of the body through liposuction and transferring it to the breasts. Fat may be taken from areas like the abdomen, hips, thighs, or buttocks. This is an ideal procedure for those looking for more volume in the breasts who may also want to get rid of unwanted fat in other areas.
Pros and Cons of a Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation
Like any procedure, there are both pros and cons of a fat transfer breast augmentation that you should consider beforehand.
Some pros of a fat transfer breast augmentation include:
- This procedure comes with little to no scarring
- This procedure doesn’t require any future maintenance
- This procedure doesn’t involve risks like rippling or thinning of the breasts
- This procedure comes with a relatively short recovery time
- This procedure maintains both breast and nipple sensation
- This procedure can simultaneously improve breast volume while also addressing unwanted areas of fat for a better figure overall
Some cons of a fat transfer breast augmentation include:
- This procedure does not carry the same results as an implant augmentation and the final volume that remains.
- This procedure may also come with a risk of lumps and nodules in the breasts in addition to indentations or irregularities at the initial liposuction site
- This procedure may come with a higher cost that may not be possible for many patients
- This procedure is unable to provide you with a substantial increase in breast volume and is ideal for more subtle results
- This procedure may be temporary in nature as injected fat may be absorbed by the body over time
- This procedure also provides less predictable results since not all fat will survive the transfer
What Is a Breast Implant Surgery?
A breast implant surgery involves placing implants into the breast area to improve breast volume and overall shape. This surgery is the most commonly performed plastic surgery procedure thanks to its reliability and results.
A breast implant surgery involves an incision around the nipple, straight down the breast, and/or straight across the fold of the breast. Either a saline or silicone implant is placed into the breast through the incision. These implants come with a low risk of rupture or puncture and last for 10 to 15 years.
Pros and Cons of Breast Implant Surgery
Breast implant surgery is a reliable surgical procedure that involves pros and cons that need to be carefully weighed before going under the knife.
Some pros of a breast implant surgery include:
- This procedure can provide you with substantial and predictable results thanks to the ability to choose the implant size and decades of research.
- This procedure involves a single surgical site around the breast that doesn’t affect other areas of the body.
- This procedure often comes at a lower cost when compared to a fat transfer breast augmentation.
- This procedure can be long term but also comes with more flexibility than a fat transfer since implants can be removed if issues develop whereas injected fat is more difficult to remove.
Some cons of a breast implant surgery include:
- This procedure is more involved than a fat transfer and comes with additional risks and a longer recovery time.
- Specifically, this procedure comes with the risk of implant rupture and leakage. It also comes with the risk of capsular contracture wherein scar tissue thickens and hardens around the implant that can distort and harden the area.
- This procedure may involve more maintenance than a fat transfer since implants generally have a lifespan of ten to twenty five years, at which time they need to be removed or replaced.
- This procedure may involve visible scars whereas a fat transfer doesn’t come with visible scars.
- This procedure involves implanting a foreign object into the body rather than using your own fat.
How To Choose the Right Option for You
In order to choose the right surgical option for you, you first need to consider what your goals are. If you’re looking to add a small amount of volume to your breasts, then a fat transfer may be ideal. On the other hand, if you’re looking to increase your breasts by one to two cup sizes, then implants would be an ideal solution.
That being said, the best way to choose the right option for you is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon. You will be able to discuss your concerns and goals to come up with the perfect surgical plan to help you address your concerns and achieve your goals.
How To Find the Best Plastic Surgeon
No matter which breast augmentation procedure you choose, you need to find the right plastic surgeon to achieve the best possible results. With so many options out there, it can be hard to find the right fit.
First of all, you need to look for a board-certified plastic surgeon. Second, you need to find a surgeon with years of experience. Third, you need to find a surgeon that prioritizes patient care and natural results with minimal scarring.
Dr. Applebaum meets all of these qualifications and then some with nearly 30 years of experience, research, and awards.
Getting Started With Your Breast Augmentation
The next step to improving the appearance and volume of your breast involves scheduling a consultation, so reach out to our Beverly Hills office today for either a virtual or in-person appointment.
Medically reviewed by Dr. Robert Applebaum
Dr. Robert Applebaum is a world renowned and highly respected Plastic Surgeon who is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In his nearly 30 years as a practicing physician, Dr. Applebaum has become known as an innovator in the field of laser technology techniques for plastic surgery procedures. He has published numerous articles and scientific papers about the use of laser technology and educates physicians worldwide on the applications of laser technology for plastic surgery. Dr. Applebaum primarily practices out of his private outpatient surgery center, Four Thirty Six Aesthetic Surgery Center, which is located in Beverly Hills.
Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation | American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Breast Augmentation | Mayo Clinic