Everyone deals with skin concerns and resulting insecurities that can affect you every time you look in the mirror. Instead of spending time and money on ineffective at-home treatments, you should consider in-office skin rejuvenation treatments.
When performed by a qualified healthcare professional, these treatments can effectively treat a wide range of skin concerns and leave you with flawless skin.
What Is Skin Rejuvenation?
Skin rejuvenation procedures refer to a variety of different procedures that are performed to combat skin concerns by improving skin appearance and texture. This is primarily done by removing outer layers of skin that are damaged to reveal new layers of skin that is healthy.
There are several different types of skin rejuvenation procedures that may be used by qualified healthcare providers, including:
- Laser skin resurfacing: This procedure involves the use of lasers to remove the top layer of skin while heating up the underlying layers to stimulate collagen growth and reveal healthy skin.
- Chemical peels: This procedure involves the use of strong acids that are applied to the skin to exfoliate it and cause the top layers to peel off.
- Microdermabrasion: This procedure involves exfoliating the skin using an abrasive applicator or an abrasive mist to remove the outermost layer of skin.
- Dermabrasion: This procedure involves deeply exfoliating the skin using an abrasive applicator to remove multiple layers of skin — penetrating deep into your tissues.
- Intense pulsed light therapy: This procedure involves the user of lasers with a broad spectrum of wavelengths that are able to absorb extra pigments in skin cells that contribute to an uneven skin tone.
What Skin Concerns Does Skin Rejuvenation Treat?
Nobody’s skin is perfect and everyone tends to have their own unique set of skin concerns that affect their confidence levels. The good news is that skin rejuvenation can be used to treat a wide variety of skin concerns to leave you with smooth, youthful, and flawless skin! Here are some of the different skin concerns that can be treated with skin rejuvenation:
- Wrinkles: Signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin are an inevitable part of getting older.
While you can’t totally avoid the occurrence of these skin concerns, you can effectively treat them through skin rejuvenation that is able to stimulate the growth of new collagen beneath the surface of the skin to fill in these lines and achieve a smoother and more youthful appearance.
- Acne: On the other end of the spectrum, acne tends to affect younger people with more active oil glands. Depending on the cause and type of acne, skin rejuvenation treatments may be able to heal current breakouts and lighten stubborn marks caused by past breakouts.
Chemical peels, laser treatments, and dermabrasion are all effective methods of treating acne.
- Scars: Whether your scars are caused by previous blemish breakouts, a bad cut, burn, or prior surgical procedures, skin rejuvenation treatments can help lighten their appearance.
Laser treatments are particularly effective at treating surgical scars whereas chemical peels and dermabrasion are effective at treating surface-level and raised scars, respectively.
- Hyperpigmentation: Hyperpigmentation can be the result of sun damage, hormonal issues, or medication reactions.
It causes the skin to have an uneven tone and can appear as dark spots or patches access the affected areas. Laser therapy can be used to lighten dark and damaged skin cells while chemical peels and microdermabrasion may also be effective treatment methods.
- Cellulite: Sometimes no matter how much you work out and take care of your skin, you still end up with cellulite simply due to genetic factors. This can be a frustrating and disheartening skin concern to deal with.
Thankfully, cellulite can be treated through laser cellulite reduction, a type of skin rejuvenation procedure that uses a tiny laser to heat layers of the skin.
What Are the Risks and Recovery Period for Skin Rejuvenation?
The risks and recovery involved in skin rejuvenation treatments vary depending on the specific procedure as some are more invasive than others. Overall, the risks of skin rejuvenation involve damage to the skin, scarring, and infection.
While these treatments are non-surgical, some of them may require a period of recovery. Dermabrasion, for example, is one of the more invasive procedures that typically requires a recovery time of at least a week. Microdermabrasion, on the other hand, doesn’t require any recovery time!
Recovery for a chemical peel can range from three days to two weeks depending on the strength of the peel applied. Recovery from laser skin resurfacing also depends on the type of laser used and can range from one to three weeks.
Where to Receive a Skin Rejuvenation Treatment
Different types of skin rejuvenation treatments may be performed in different places. For instance, more invasive treatments like strong chemical peels, dermabrasion, and laser therapy should be performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Other treatments like weaker chemical peels and microdermabrasion may be safely performed by a highly-trained registered nurse or licensed aesthetician.
At the end of the day, the results of your skin rejuvenation treatments are largely dependent upon your provider. For this reason, we recommend doing copious research into your different options by looking at customer testimonials, before and after photos, and board certifications.
If you want the best results, Dr. Applebaum is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has been practicing in Beverly Hills for almost 30 years. His techniques and experience with these different procedures prioritize natural and beautiful results for his patients.
Skin Rejuvenation Wrap Up
Skin rejuvenation is an effective method to treat a wide variety of skin concerns that can affect your appearance and your confidence. If you’re unsure about which treatment would best address your skin concerns, reach out to Dr. Applebaum today for a complimentary consultation.
Medically reviewed by Dr. Robert Applebaum
Dr. Robert Applebaum is a world renowned and highly respected Plastic Surgeon who is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In his nearly 30 years as a practicing physician, Dr. Applebaum has become known as an innovator in the field of laser technology techniques for plastic surgery procedures. He has published numerous articles and scientific papers about the use of laser technology and educates physicians worldwide on the applications of laser technology for plastic surgery. Dr. Applebaum primarily practices out of his private outpatient surgery center, Four Thirty Six Aesthetic Surgery Center, which is located in Beverly Hills.