What is Crepey Skin?
You may have heard of the word “crepey skin”. What exactly is crepey skin? Is it actually a real medical word? How do know if you have crepey skin, and most importantly what can you do to fix it? This article will provide answers to all of your questions.
Crepey skin is thin and wrinkled skin, that often sags or feels loose. Crepey skin feels like thin crepe paper. According to Cleveland Clinic, crepey skin usually starts appearing when you are in your 40s. However, for some people, crepey skin can develop earlier. As a person ages, the skin becomes looser. However crepey skin is not only caused by aging.
There are various factors that can lead to crepey skin. These include:
- Sun damage: according to Healthline, sun damage is the most common cause of crepey skin. The sun damage over time leads to the loss of elastin in the skin. The ultraviolet sun rays are responsible for breaking down the collagen and elastin in the skin. College and elastin contribute to the skin’s firmness, allowing it to be tight and wrinkle-free.
- Dryness: While age is not the main factor, it can still be a contributor. As you age, less collagen and elastin are produced. Dryness also increases with aging. This is because the oils of your skin help moisturize your skin. As you age the oil production decreases.
- Weight changes: this includes either gaining or losing a large amount of weight
- Medication: Various medications can cause crepey skin. One common medication is prednisone. Prednisone is a steroid medication that is also used to manage inflammation or swelling.
- Poor nutrition
As you can see from the above causes of crepey skin, following a healthy lifestyle can be a great preventer. Eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and not smoking are beneficial for your skin and overall health.
Is There A Fix?
Fortunately, there are ways to both help prevent crepey skin and also treat it
Preventing Crepey Skin
- Skin protection: As mentioned, skin damage is the most common contributor to crepey skin. Try to stay out of the sun if possible and wear daily sunscreen and protective clothing. You can still definitely enjoy the beach and outdoors, just be sure to do it wisely. Try to purchase a sunscreen with a sun protection factor, abbreviated SPF, of at least 30.
- Moisturize: Moisturizing the skin with various lotions or moisturizers helps keep the skin moist and prevent drying. Some things to look for in a moisturizer are those containing glycerin or hyaluronic acid. These ingredients help maintain moisture. Additionally, coconut oils, olive oil, and cocoa butter may also be helpful. Read more at Healthline, Causes of and Treatments for Crepey Skin.
- Balanced diet: Try to include antioxidants, vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids. Specifically, vitamins A, C, D, and E are beneficial to the skin.
- Home remedies: massaging, participating in physical exercise, reducing stress, exfoliating, and using a simple scrub will help replenish the skin. These will not only benefit your skin but also your overall health and help also increase your energy level.
Treatment for Crepey Skin
While sunscreen and good skin moisturizers can help prevent crepey skin from developing, plastic surgery procedures are typically needed to treat crepey skin once it is present.
Over the counter treatments
Over the common treatments with products like alpha hydroxy acids, retinoids or peptides, help promote exfoliation, removing dead cells, and promoting new cell growth. Additional helpful ingredients to look for including salicylic acid, lactic acid, glycolic acid, hyaluronic acid, and ammonium lactate.
Exfoliation: Exfoliating with a simple product such as a sugar scrub, can help remove dead skin and promote the growth of new cells. Try to avoid skin treatments that dry out your skin.
Noninvasive treatment options
Retinoids. Retinol is part of the vitamin A family. Retinoids come in either a gel or cream form and help skin to exfoliate, removing old skin, and encouraging new skin to form. In order to help in the face of crepey skin, a hydrating moisturizer should also be used.
Fractional laser treatment
Laser treatment can be used to heat the tissue underneath your skin. This works by creating tiny holes in the skin. This heat helps break down some of the cells and helps trigger the growth of collagen. As a result, the skin becomes more toned and creates a more even skin texture. The most common location for this procedure is the neck and face.
This procedure is also referred to as cryolipolysis. During this noninvasive procedure, areas of fat are removed.
Fillers are injected into the skin to help promote collagen growth. Fillers can improve the texture, thickness, and appearance of your crepey skin. Some common brands include Radiesse or Sculptra.
Dr. Robert Applebaum, from Applebaum MD, is an innovator in using a laser in the field of aesthetic plastic surgery. He was one of the first plastic surgeons in Los Angeles to use the Dot CO2 Fraction Laser. Laser skin resurfacing replaced dermabrasion and chemical peels as the primary preferred resurfacing method for rejuvenating both age and sun-damaged skin, almost 25 years ago.
Laser skin resurfacing can be used for the treatment of crepey skin.
What are the benefits?
The many benefits of Dot CO2 laser surgery include:
- Pleasingly aesthetic results
- Decreased recover time
- Reduced swelling
- Reduced redness
- Can be performed with topical gel anesthesia while the patient is awake
- Can also be used on sensitive body areas, including neck, chest, hands.
- No dressing required
- No open skin wound
- Creates a PERMANENT collagen rejuvenation and PERNAMENT visible improvement in the appearance of skin.
Learn more about Dr. Robert Applebaum and Dot CO2 laser treatment: https://www.applebaummd.com/procedures/face/laser-skin-resurfacing-beverly-hills/
You will be amazed at the difference. The proof in the picture. Take some time to look at before and after photos of Dr.Applebaum’s work
Dr. Applebaum will discuss your goals with you and together you will create a plan that best suits your body’s function and aesthetic goal. You will have a much better understanding of the various procedures available. In addition, Dr. Applebaum will make you aware of the potential associated risks so that you are fully informed.
Dr. Robert Applebaum’s office is located in the heart of Beverly Hills and his Four Thirty Six Aesthetic Surgery Center is conveniently attached to his office. Dr. Applebaum has over 25 years of experience and he and his staff make you feel comfortable and welcome.
Some advantages of the Four Thirty Six Aesthetic Surgery Center include:
- The Four Thirty Six Aesthetic Surgery Center has all the equipment and the same anesthesia as a hospital operating room
- Since its creation in 1996, the Four Thirty Six Aesthetic Surgery Center has performed safe procedures with the added advantage of offering patients privacy and a comfortable atmosphere
- Staff performs only plastic surgery, therefore they are proficient and adequately prepared for your surgery. Hospital operating rooms are used for various surgeries from plastic surgery to neurology surgery. Having a designated center that is solely used for plastic surgery procedures, helps promote increased patient quality of care as well as decreases the risk of infection.
- Anesthesia is performed by physician anesthesia providers who are Board Certified by the American Board of Anesthesiologist.
Learn more about Dr. Robert Applebaum’s practice
Schedule a complimentary Tele-consultation to get started: https://www.applebaummd.com/contacts/