Give Me Back My Elastin!
It is commonly known that as women (and men) age, the skin loses its elasticity.
Elastin is the elastic component in the skin. The decrease in elastin occurs as a person ages. The age that skin loses its elasticity varies, but this typically occurs around the 30-40 year old benchmark.
Once elasticity fades, we all want it back! But how can we get the appearance of beautiful young firm skin back?
Well, plastic surgery is one option to improve the skin’s aesthetics. With the advancements in technology, there are a lot of cutting edge surgical options available today.
However, many people are hesitant to go under the knife and schedule surgery. That being said, there are other options that market restored elasticity as a benefit, such as skincare creams.
The big question that everyone wants to know is then: do these skincare products actually work, and to what extent?
Do Skin Creams Really Work?
The short answer is yes, they can–at least, the right cream can.
Dermatologist Joshua Zeichner, MD who stated in a Marie Claire article: “Firming creams are best at preventing sagging or may give modest improvements in sagging skin when used alone.” Dr. Zeichner is the director of cosmetic and clinical research at Mount Sinai Hospital.
So, skin tightening cream really works?
The long answer is, if/when they do work, when you use the right one, the results are generally mild.
As stated on the American Academy of Dermatology Association website: “If you’re looking for facelift-like results from a jar, you’ll likely be disappointed.”
Which Skin Cream is the Right Skin Cream?
There are so many skincare products on the market–how do you choose the right one?
Oftentimes, you’ll see retinol as one of the most commonly marketed anti-aging creams, but in truth, a majority of products out there don’t have the right formula to really provide the reduced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles you’re probably looking for. Even the priciest serums and creams can only do so much–and don’t get us wrong, they can make a difference, but if you’re looking to anti-aging as a solution versus as a preventative strategy, you might be too late (more on this later!).
This is why it’s important to spend time doing some research to help understand the details of each skin care product. It may seem overwhelming, but once you find a product you like that shows the results you’re looking for, it will be worth it.
Take the time to read labels and familiarize yourself with these ingredients:
- Caffeine: When applied topically, caffeine is absorbed by the blood vessels. Its antioxidant properties, protecting the skin from harmful free-radicals. In addition, caffeine also acts as a vasoconstrictor and dehydrates fat cells. These factors lead to skin tightening.
- Carnitine: Carnitine assists in the breakdown of fat and lipids. Carnitine also helps reduce excess body oils.
- Glycolic acid: is commonly derived from sugar cane and helps to exfoliate the skin; basically separating the dead cells. It also can stimulate the production of collagen.
- Coenzyme Q10: is an antioxidant necessary to produce cell energy. It also helps the body in producing collagen and elastin.
Make sure you also read reviews of the product on sites that you trust, and lastly, talk to an experienced professional such as a plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is well versed in different types of anti-aging treatments.
What age should you start using anti-aging creams?
Experts recommend that anti-aging cream should be used starting around age 20. This may seem confusing, as loss of elastin mostly occurs in a person’s 30s to 40s, but some dermatologists explain the loss of collagen slowly starts in the 20s to 30s. This is why it’s recommended that people in their 20s start early to help prevent the skin from aging.
When Anti-Aging Creams Don’t Bring Results
If the creams aren’t quite enough to give you the lift you’re looking for, there are more options if you are hesitant about having surgery.
Non-invasive skin tightening procedures or minimally invasive skin-tightening procedures may be something to consider.
Dr. Applebaum is extensively trained in cutting-edge surgical techniques and is an innovator in the field of laser surgery for plastic surgery procedures. Dr. Applebaum removes unwanted fat using small cannulas and the tumescent fluid technique. This technique is superior to fat removal using laser or ultrasound. An added benefit is that the incision is very small, resulting in minimal to no sign of surgery afterward.
Other non-surgical options include:
- Dermal Fillers: This includes Hyaluronic fillers like Juvederm and Voluma, Sculptra, and Radiesse.
- Neurotoxin Injections: This includes Botox, Dysport, Jeuveau, and Xeomin. The wide range of injectable products available today is more appealing to men. Injectables help restore volume, smooth wrinkles, fill indented acne scars, jawlines, and shape the nose. An added benefit that there is essentially little or no recovery downtime.
Dr. Robert Applebaum understands all aspects of anti-aging therapy–he is an absolute expert in the benefits and ingredients of anti-aging skincare.
Dr. Applebaum and his team can discuss various anti-aging options that are available to you including; non-surgical, minimally invasive, and surgical.
- Aesthetic procedures of the face, brow, eyes, and neck.
- Aesthetic laser skin resurfacing of the face.
- Minimally invasive skin tightening of the face, neck, and body using radiofrequency technology. RFAL and Fractora (FaceTite and BodyTite)
- Aesthetic surgery of the breast including breast reduction, breast lifting, breast enhancement, and reconstruction.
- Aesthetic body contouring including liposuction and body lifting.
- Aesthetic surgery of the ears.
- Aesthetic injectables including fillers, Botox, and Kybella for facial rejuvenation.
- Consultative services for reconstructive and aesthetic problems and injuries.
Learn more about the procedures Dr. Applebaum performs here: https://www.applebaummd.com/procedures/face/
When choosing a plastic surgeon, you want to ensure they are very experienced in the procedure that you are considering. Dr. Applebaum’s excellent patient reviews speak for his meticulous work, compassion, and professionalism. Learn more about what Dr. Applebaum’s patients have to say in his patient testimonials.
Meet Dr. Applebaum
On top of training at some of the top schools in the country like The Chicago Medical School and University of California, Irvine, to eventually serve at Cedar Sinai and build his own surgery center, Dr. Applebaum boasts 25+ years of vast experience, with his patients often attesting to his meticulous quality of work and unique compassion and empathy. Dr. Applebaum has also published several scholarly articles and scientific papers in the area of laser surgery, serving as one of the leaders in the technique when it first entered the plastic surgery field. He shares his expertise by educating and lecturing physicians worldwide in the use of lasers in the plastic surgery field.
Additionally, in his extensive knowledge of beauty and skincare, Dr. Applebaum even developed his own line of skincare products specifically to support post-op recovery and long-term support of surgical results.
So, all in all, skin cream can give you the appearance of tightened skin, but if you have the opportunity to take advantage of minimally invasive procedures with long lasting results, it’s worth looking into.
Ready to take the first step to a naturally younger-looking you? Schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Applebaum today!
Medically reviewed by Dr. Robert Applebaum
Dr. Robert Applebaum is a world renowned and highly respected Plastic Surgeon who is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In his nearly 30 years as a practicing physician, Dr. Applebaum has become known as an innovator in the field of laser technology techniques for plastic surgery procedures. He has published numerous articles and scientific papers about the use of laser technology and educates physicians worldwide on the applications of laser technology for plastic surgery. Dr. Applebaum primarily practices out of his private outpatient surgery center, Four Thirty Six Aesthetic Surgery Center, which is located in Beverly Hills.