Being a mom is a wonderful experience that many will admit is the greatest accomplishment in their life. It is an unexplainable process that provides a special bond with the creation of a new human being. However, mothers make a lot of sacrifices including putting their child/children first, lack of sleep, and body changes. Pregnancy and childbirth cause every women’s body to change, some experience these changes to a greater extent than others. One common change that occurs is skin stretching. After the baby is born, many areas of the body are altered, including skin, muscle, and even hormones.
- Skin: the skin elasticity is altered, leaving many moms with stretchmarks or excessive skin.
- Muscle: Pregnancy often leads to damage to the muscles in the abdomen. As the fetus grows in the mother’s belly the muscles can stretch so much that they may permanently separate. Despite exercise and a healthy diet, these muscles cannot be fully restored without surgery.
- Hormones are another factor involved. As explained on plasticsurgery.org, pregnancy hormones can cause the body to develop new deposits of stubborn fat, which do not respond to conventional weight loss methods.
The Mommy Makeover
The Mommy Makeover has gained popularity over the years. USA Today shared results from a past American Society of Plastic Surgery survey; in which 62% of mothers would consider a mommy makeover if the cost wasn’t an issue. The mommy makeover is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed by Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. One such surgeon is Dr. Robert Applebaum. Dr. Applebaum has years of experience in performing the Mommy Makeover in his Four Thirty-Six Aesthetic Surgery Center, located in Beverly Hills, California.
What Exactly is Included in a Mommy Makeover?
Well, it actually depends. The goal of the mommy makeover is to restore the shape and appearance of the mom’s body after childbirth. Therefore a Mommy Makeover is customized to whatever area(s) the “mom” wants improved. The procedure is personalized and designed to create a complete transformation to make the mom feel they are back to their pre-pregnant body or even more improved.
Somethings that can be included in a Mommy Makeover include:
o Liposuction: Liposuction is a procedure used to remove access to fat. Liposuction can be performed in various areas of the body. Dr. Applebaum has performed liposuction for over 25 years. Dr. Applebaum removes unwanted fat using small cannulas and the tumescent fluid technique. This technique is superior to fat removal using laser or ultrasound. An added benefit is that the incision is very small, resulting in minimal to no sign of surgery afterward.
o Skin tightening: Dr. Applebaum uses RFAL or Body Tite skin tightening procedures to the liposuction procedures; improving aesthetic results desired by these patients.
Body Tite tightens the network of tissues just under the skin that loses laxity with age. It uses FDA and approved radiofrequency energy process that visibly tightens the tissues.
Learn more about Dr. Applebaum’s Liposculpture technique: https://www.applebaummd.com/procedures/body/2693-2/
- Breast lifting: A breast lift restores patients who have a droopy breast. The breast lifts performed by Dr. Applebaum create naturally appearing perky breast-shaped breasts. The procedure is performed with minimal incision lines that heal over time to become unnoticeable. Dr. Applebaum has practiced the French vertical breast lift technique for 15 years, that provides patients with long-term youthful appearing breasts. Learn more about Breast Lifts by Dr. Applebaum: https://www.applebaummd.com/procedures/breast/breast-lift-without-implants/
- Tummy tuck: This transformation procedure offers a toned-flat tummy. Dr.Applebaum performs tummy tucks with a discrete incision that is placed in a favorable position. A tummy tuck can not only address the cosmetic improvement of contour but also addresses the functional repair of the muscles.
View before and after photos of these procedures performed by Dr. Applebaum: https://www.applebaummd.com/photogallery/#category_id_69
Things To Consider
While the Mommy Makeover offers several benefits, including that it is a single procedure that includes multiple different customizable treatments. This decreases the time that is alternatively required with multiple surgeries, and for busy Mom’s…time is always limited. Taking the time to address concerns and having a detailed discussion with your surgeon, will help ensure you are making the right choice.
There are some things to consider when thinking about having a Mommy Makeover.
- Are you finished having children?
- Do you follow a healthy diet and exercise? The Mommy Makeover does not take the place of diet and exercise. A Mommy Makeover is a favorable option who has tried a healthy diet and exercise and still not achieved the body results they would like to see. Continuing a healthy diet and exercise may improve recovery time and decrease the risk of complications.
- Do you smoke?
o Non-smokers are the best candidates for this procedure. Smoking increases a body’s risk of complications and decreases healing after surgery. Therefore if you smoke, your surgeon will likely require you to stop smoking at least 1 month prior to scheduling your Mommy Makeover.
- Are you breastfeeding?
o It is important that you wait to undergo a Mommy Makeover until you have completed breastfeeding and recovered from the pregnancy and delivery process.
Who Are The Best Candidates?
The best candidates for a Mommy makeover include:
- Women who are done having children
- Women with a specific body issue that has not responded favorably to diet and exercise
- Women with loose or extra skin
- Breast droop with loss of breast volume
- Muffin top excess fat that spills over the jeans
Dr. Applebaum can discuss with you the specifics of what you are looking for, then recommend a customized procedure that may best achieve your goal. Learn more about Applebaum MD and the Mommy Makeover Procedure: https://www.applebaummd.com/procedures/body/mommy-makeover/
Some things to consider and discuss with your surgeon included the desired amount of restoration, placement of the incisions, types of implant used.
Two common questions that Mom’s have are 1. How painful is the mommy makeover? 2. How long is the recovery period for a Mommy Makeover?
The answers to both really vary. Because the Mommy Makeover really differs from one patient to another depending on the area and extent of change they are looking for. Here are some things to consider about each question.
Pain associated with a Mommy Makeover
Typically the more procedures that are performed during the Mommy Makeover, the more pain you will experience post-operatively. However, it is important to note that various pain management options available that you will want to discuss with your surgeon beforehand. Some methods that can help alleviate pain include:
- Long-lasting pain medication injected intra-operatively (during surgery)
- A combination of oral pain medications after surgery, determined by your surgeon
- Non-medication options such as compression garments
Recovery time will depend on how extensive the Mommy Makeover is. Typically the more procedures involved the longer recovery period can be expected. Some recovery time can be up to 2-3 months before you can get into more of your normal routine. Things to keep in mind, if you have small children you may not be able to lift them while you are recovering, in order to allow the muscles and skin to heal. You likely will need someone for your child/children while you are recovering.
In addition to increased aesthetics, a mommy maker can boost a mom’s confidence and help regain or strengthen her sense of self. It is important to discuss with your surgeon the goals you wish to achieve and whether or not a Mommy Maker is the right procedure for you at this time. Dr. Applebaum will discuss all aspects related to the procedure and help create a plan that works best for you and your lifestyle. Schedule a complimentary consultation. Tele-consultations are available.
Medically reviewed by Dr. Robert Applebaum
Dr. Robert Applebaum is a world renowned and highly respected Plastic Surgeon who is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In his nearly 30 years as a practicing physician, Dr. Applebaum has become known as an innovator in the field of laser technology techniques for plastic surgery procedures. He has published numerous articles and scientific papers about the use of laser technology and educates physicians worldwide on the applications of laser technology for plastic surgery. Dr. Applebaum primarily practices out of his private outpatient surgery center, Four Thirty Six Aesthetic Surgery Center, which is located in Beverly Hills.